And a Thirty Aught Six

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Well, I finally had to do it...

I love the .30-06. There isn't much of anything the '06 can't do. And most of those things it can't do (like cheap plinking or squirrel and rabbit hunting) can be done by a little .22LR. Sure, there are cartridges that do a particular thing better than it does; however, none has the versitility of the aught six. But the problem is, I didn't have a .30-06. Just a couple of 7.62x54R mosin nagants, the "poor man's .30-06."

I had been meaning to pick up a .30-06 some time this year, on account of the greatest cartridge's centennial. However, I planned on getting a Garand. Well, funny thing happened on Friday at the gun store. I was out running some errands, and swung by the gun store, just to check out the bid wall. (A silent auction for guns, auctions expire on Saturdays, so I have to check them out each week. Oh, and the store has free snacks)

Well, a while back they bought about 30 sporter mausers from an estate. Most were vz24s, with a few swedes thrown in. Well, I've spent the past few months drooling over them. So, this Friday, I see that all used rifles are buy one, get 10% off; buy two or more, get 25% the total. Since I went at closing, I drove home and thought about it. I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to spend the money right then, so I mentioned it to my wife. Who, instead of convincing me to save my money, suggested that I get two of 'em. So we went back first thing in the morning and bought two lovely .30-06 rifles.

So, BAG day was celebrated, as was the centennial of my favorite cartridge.

Note: first paragraph edited for clarity--I had deleted a sentence or two while writing it, and as a result it didn't make any sense.

2 Comments:

  • A new Gunny blog! Congrats! Looks like I'm your first commenter. WHooHoo!

    There's very few things that can't get done.
    With five hunnerd dollars and a pump shotgun.

    By Blogger Pawpaw, at 8:57 AM  

  • What's better than a gun purchase for BAG day? Buying two guns at discount with the spouse's encouragement.

    Perfect. Congrats

    By Blogger Nate, at 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home