And a Thirty Aught Six

Sunday, April 23, 2006

An old gun..

I had mentioned the Mosin Nagant in "the poor man's .30-06" earlier, and I intended to post a picture of one of my Mosins. However, the rifle I want to post about is a New England Westinghouse manufactured M1891 that was captured by the Finns, and I don't have a picture of the receiver stampings. So, I'll save that one for later. It'll be worth it, I promise.

Instead, let me present Edward Mueller's (I probably butchered the spelling) battle rifle:

It's a Schmidt Ruben k31 in 7.5x55 Swiss. The k31 is a straight-pull bolt action rifle. Instead of a normal turn bolt-- where the bolt handle is turned up, then pulled to the rear, pushed forward, then turned down to lock--the k31 bolt is simply pulled to the rear, then pushed forward. It cycles extremely quickly for a manual-action rifle. The craftsmanship is remarkable. It's got the best trigger I've ever tried on a military rifle. Since the Swiss never manufactured corrosive ammunition in 7.5swiss, the bores tend to be in great shape. Additionally, the Swiss army practices --most Swiss men must qualify with their rifles annually, giving them an incentive to keep them in good working order-- also help to keep the rifles in good shape.

Many k31 owners put a small card with their name and address on it under the butt plate, as mine did. This one was owned by an Edward Mueller, and when I get a chance, I plan on sending the man (or his family) a letter to thank him for keeping such good care of it.

For about 100 bucks you'd be hard pressed to find a better rifle.

(I'm posting this now without proof reading for time reasons. So, forgive the typos or sentences that don't make any sense. I'll fix them later. Edit: fixed typo in first sentence under the picture.)

2 Comments:

  • My brother and one of his freinds from college both have K31's. They are both in beautiful condition, and have convinced me to buy one to take to college and leave at my friends house near campus to hunt with. You are right, for 100$ they can't be beat!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:37 PM  

  • I bought a K-31 after a lot of research into the which rifle would be the best bang for my buck.

    I couldn't be happier with mine. For a 50 yr. old military surplus rifle it's very accurate and reasonably priced ammo. can be had online.

    It's a poor man's .308.

    By Blogger MJC, at 10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home