And a Thirty Aught Six

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Ground Control to Major Tom...

I'm here... somewhat. I just picked up another one of the Mauser's friends. This one has the same stock and action, but with a different (and much shorter and lighter) barrel and is in 7x57, a.k.a., 7mm Mauser. So, now I have to buy another set of dies, more brass, probably some new powders, and a new diameter of bullets. Awww, shucks. I'm hoping I can find a load that works, with a decent hunting bullet in the 120gr range, that's moving under 2500 fps or so. I figure that'd make a nice deer rifle if my wife decides to come hunting with me this year. Any advice for bullets that would work well at this speed, or loads that would get me there would be greatly appreciated.

Pictures to follow. And you won't believe the price I paid. Also, pictures of the Westinghouse M1891 are also coming. I'll probably take the pictures tonight and post them shortly.

1 Comments:

  • You're gonna love 7X57. It is almost the perfect deer rifle. Find bullets in the 140 grain class and load conservatively. There is something about a 140 grain bullet and the 7mm bore that makes it a winner. Good accuracy, great ballistics, low recoil.

    By Blogger Pawpaw, at 8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home