And a Thirty Aught Six

Thursday, September 21, 2006

My Shame Slightly Reduced

I said here that I didn't have a gun chambered in 7.62x39. Well, I fixed that last weekend. On the way back from some squirrel hunting/scouting for deer season, I stopped by my favorite gun store, Guns and Ammo Warehouse (their website seems to have died). First, I drooled all over their 1911s, especially the mucho-expensive Wilsons, then noticed an SKS for $115. It was a little rough, but by the time you pay for shipping from somewhere like Aim Surplus, the price is tough to beat. However, the chamber had some rust in it, and the bore was pretty ugly. So, my wallet went back in my pocket. However, they had another one in back. So, I took a look. The previous owner scratched his initials in the stock, at least, that's what I assume the letters are. But the rifling is good, and the metal, especially internally, was in great shape. My wallet then cursed the friendly sales-guy, and I ended up with a 7.62x39 rifle, finally. Now I just have to find time to get to the range, if I ever get all the cosmoline out. But with hunting season coming up, I've still got to settle on a .30-06 load. I'm thinking 54gr 760 behind a 165gr soft point. (Note: I wrote that load from memory. It is, if I remembed the numbers correctly, safe in my gun. It's probably safe in yours (it's at the low end), but it isn't necessarily safe in your gun. Check a manual, blah, blah...) And then I have to get the rifle zeroed for the load I end up with. Also, I could stand to get a little more practice with my new bow before the season starts up in a couple weeks. So, plinking away with a new toy doesn't have quite the little-kid like urgency it would usually have.

7 Comments:

  • I've never tried this, but I've heard of it being done with good results many, many times: get some really hot water, to the point of boiling, and pour it down the bore. The hot water is spozta melt the Cosmolene, while evaporating really quickly so that it doesn't cause rusting by having water sitting on the bare metal. Enjoy that SKS. I had to give up my MAK90 to pay back a debt, so now I'm without a gun in that chambering, too. That was a fun gun; couldn't hit didly with it, but it was fun to blast with, back when 7.62X39 was as cheap as ammo got.

    By Blogger Haji, at 6:07 PM  

  • I got you blogrolled.
    Thanks for the same! :)

    By Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy, at 10:15 PM  

  • Thanks for dropping by, too!

    By Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy, at 10:16 PM  

  • Too bad you can't use a 30 cal on spammers...

    ummm, are you going to post something?

    By Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy, at 8:08 PM  

  • Hello?

    By Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy, at 6:20 PM  

  • Hey AughtSix, this is Matt from Armed Canadian.

    Unrelated to your post but I can't find an e-mail for you on your blog.

    I would be interested in shooting the Centreville IWL smallbore contest on the 25th. Contact me through my blog if you can provide details and any assistance.

    Thanks and keep up the good work!

    By Blogger The Armed Canadian, at 3:49 PM  

  • For Cosmoline removal, I highly recommend a small can of "Goof-Off" available practically anywhere.

    I used it on my Mosin Nagant M44 (7.62x54R is a lot of fun and highly recommended) and it simple melted off.

    Do it outside though, the stuff stinks to high heaven.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home